Sit back, relax, and make Maine your destination without having to drive!
Do you want a travel option with plenty of legroom, free wi-fi, room to move around, outlets to charge your electronics and discounts/packages to choose from? Do you want to avoid traffic and parking fees. The Amtrak Downeaster is a great, cost-effective way to get to or from Maine for a day trip, a weekend or even longer! With year round stops in Boston, Woburn & Haverhill Massachusetts, Exeter, Durham, & Dover New Hampshire, and Wells, Saco, Portland, Freeport and Brunswick, Maine there’s something to interest everyone. Enjoy these off the beaten path towns and see what they have to offer. There are sports packages to see the Celtics, Bruins & Red Sox. They even run a later train on game days so you can avoid getting stuck in Boston! You can enjoy your favorite snack or beverage in The Café Car. My favorite? The Wicked Whoopies! Yes, the same ones you can get in Boothbay! The Downeaster’s menu is better than any airline you might choose. See it here.
Check out everyday discounts for:
- 25% Fan Fare Discounts
- 50% Senior Discounts
- 50% Children’s Discounts (Children ride FREE on Sundays!)
- 50% Disability/Medicare Discount
Many discounts require a 3-day advance purchase. Other deals are Student Discounts, Military Discounts, Group Travel, Multi-ride passes, and AAA Discounts. Check out the Downeaster website for all of them!
New for the summer of 2018, the Amtrak Downeaster will be adding Rockland, Maine to their weekend schedule with stops in Bath, Wiscasset, Newcastle/Damariscotta and Rockland. They also add Old Orchard beach as a seasonal destination.
Click the locations below to see special events happening along the Downeaster route that you may want to enjoy this Holiday Season:
- Boston, MA – Nov. 28th Tree Lighting at Faneuil Hall, Holiday Lights Trolley, Santa Claus Run, The Enchanted Trolley Tour & Tree Lighting, Taj Boston Teddy Bear Tea, The Official Boston Holiday Market, Skating at the Boston Common Frog Pond.
- Exeter, NH – November 30th – December 3rd. Festival of Trees, Ring in the Season 4-day Celebration, Christmas Parade, Holiday Concert and Exeter Arts Holiday Show at the Town Hall Gallery.
- Portland, Maine – Polar Express, Monument Square Tree Lighting, FREE Horse & Wagon Rides, 30th Christmas at the Cathedral, Nutcracker w/Portland Ballet, west African Dance Classes with Live Drumming.
- Freeport, Maine – The Sparkle Express on the Amtrak Downeaster, LL Bean Northern Lights Celebration, FREE Visits with Santa, 24th Annual Sparkle Celebration, Freeport Elders Pancake Breakfast, Bow Street Wine Tasting, Tuba Christmas Concert, Jingle Bell 5K Walk/Run for Arthritis, Wilbur’s – Come Meet Santa . . . and more
- Brunswick, Maine – Jolly Family Jamboree
Whatever your destination on the Amtrak Downeaster, you will be treated well by the conductors and volunteers and will have a memorable time that will draw you back again and again!